• “Darker” – Semi-finalist, Writers of the Future (1st Quarter, 2013).
• “The Something Said” – first place, 2012 Fellowship of Australian Writers Manly & Peninsula Short Story Competition. Judges' comments: “A beautifully written, poignant narrative, involving a sick child and a mother's unbearable angst.”
• “A Knight Answers” – first place, 2012 Oberon Writing Competition.
• “Deep” – Honourable Mention, Writers of the Future (2nd Quarter, 2012).
• “Finding My Way” – shortlisted by Berkelouw Books for The Pittwater Award 2012.
• “A Dragon's Back” – epublished, 2012 Parenting Express website.
• “The Voice” – epublished, 2011 mStories website.
• “From Here to There” – superior entry, 2011 Conflux 7.
• “Portrait of a Model” – first place, 2011 Fellowship of Australian Writers Manly & Peninsula Short Story Competition. Judges' comments: “A powerful story well told. Entertaining and thought provoking. Clever title too.”
• “Invisible Dirt” – first place, 2011 Oberon Writing Competition.
• “Trigger” – published, 2011 Winds of Change short story anthology (Canberra Speculative Fiction Guild Publishing); shortlisted, 2010 for inclusion in Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine.
• “Breakthrough” – published, 2011 A Visit From The Duchess short story anthology (Stringybark Publishing).
• “Fighting Off The Foxes” – first place, 2010 Fellowship of Australian Writers Manly & Peninsula Short Story Competition. Judges' comments: “A well-written and moving story that tackles a difficult topic with sensitivity and insight.”
• “Once, Upon A Wattle” – commended, 2010 Fellowship of Australian Writers Manly & Peninsula Short Story Competition. Judges' comments: “There are enough twists and turns to make this story a lot of fun.”
• “Diamonds in the Sea” – shortlisted, 2009 by "Page Seventeen" magazine.
• “just the way things are” – commended, 2009 Fellowship of Australian Writers Manly & Peninsula Short Story Competition.
“Zena conceives truly original ideas, something that is rarely come across in any writer.”
Benjamin Karvel, Editor
"In those precious few moments I strive to find each day to relax, Zena's stories take me into someone else’s world and so far away from my own reality I lose track of time.”
Catherine Meek, Fan
• “Towards White” – debut novel, represented by literary agent Alex Adsett. Currently with Aussie publishers for consideration! For more information, please contact Alex.
“A fast-paced adventure, 'Towards White' will challenge your view on life and take you on an unexpected journey. We are very excited about this compelling novel. White Lantern Film is always looking out for award-winning productions. This is a breakaway hit just waiting to happen.”
Adam Merrifield, White Lantern Film
“I love the way she presents such profound spiritual and scientific ideas in a straight-forward plot-driven story. But I also hate it, as it gets me wishing I’d written something as clever myself.”
Belinda Curtis, Writer
Zena has worked with both published and unpublished authors as editor and proofreader to ensure their writing is crisp and easy to understand, as well as emotive and elegantly crafted. Recent published projects include:
• “The Last Albatross” by Ian Irvine
• “The Western Front Diaries” by Jonathan King
• “The Flower Hunter: The Remarkable Life of Ellis Rowan” by Christine & Michael Morton-Evans
• “Wild Tea Cosies” by Loani Prior
“I have worked with Zena over the last three months on a series of children's books I have written. Being a Mum herself she knows how hard it can be to meet deadlines and juggle schedules. She has been very helpful, understanding and has done an incredible job of editing my books. She also helped with ideas and cover letters I sent to publishers. As a first time writer I am over the moon to find such a professional and knowledgable person with whom I can work. I plan to use Zena in all my further projects.”
Victoria Vanstone, Private Client
If you have a freelance editing, copywriting or technical writing assignment, or you require a manuscript assessment, please contact Zena initially via email.
A self-employed writer for ten years, Zena has had a variety of writing projects published both in print and on the web. If you google her, you might just come across links to some of them:
• “Breaking Loose: research” – journal article, ALB (2010)
• “Breaking Loose: starting your own non-legal business” – journal article, ALB (2009)
• “Linguistico” – website editor (2009)
• “Australian Industrial & Intellectual Property: Trade Mark Law” – reference volume, CCH Australia (2004, 2005)
• “Are you protecting your IP assets?” – business builder article, CCH Australia (2004)
• “Gnomes” – poem, The Wig & Pen (1997)
• Miscellaneous – reporting articles, The Advertiser (1994) and The Bournemouth Evening Echo (1995)
• Miscellaneous – poetry, The PPB (1991-1993) and school magazines (1986-1993)
“Zena's ability to research, analyse and present complex ideas in plain accessible English is a valuable talent. Zena is professional, timely and knows the importance of a brief. A pleasure to work with.”
Shaun Weston, Senior Legal Writer, CCH Australia
Although Zena has offered ghost/biographical writing to clients in the past, these services are currently on hold. Please email her if you’d like to know when such services might resume.